Slovak Jewish Heritage Database

Cemetery in Závod

Item

Zavod_1.jpg
Zavod_2.jpg
Zavod_3.jpg
Zavod_4.jpg
Zavod_5.jpg
Zavod_6.jpg
Zavod_7.jpg

Title

Cemetery in Závod

Description

The cemetery is located in the northern part of village in a residential area. It is a small walled lot containing about fourteen graves, seven with standing tombstones. The local Jewish community was small: there were 17 Jewish residents here in 1927. The oldest tombstones are typical sandstone matzevot with semi-circular endings, while three later tombstones are period-typical black granite obelisks. The latest grave is from 1915 (Amalie Kohn). Several tombstones belong to the Weisz family. These include the neighboring graves of Adolf (Aaron Yehuda) and Regina (Rivkah), Marie (Mirel) and Nathan. Nathan’s sons Robert and Sándor Weisz, who died as little children, are buried in a twin grave and share a matzevah. The tombstone texts are bilingual, in Hebrew and German. The cemetery is in fair condition, and is maintained by the neighbors.

Date

end of the 19th cent. - 1915

Identifier

Lot. No. 759

Collection

Citation

“Cemetery in Závod,” Slovak Jewish Heritage Database, accessed June 25, 2024, https://database.slovak-jewish-heritage.org/items/show/12.

Geolocation