Slovak Jewish Heritage Database

Cemetery in Modra

Item

modra_cintorin_1.jpg
modra_cintorin_2.jpg
modra_cintorin_3.jpg
modra_cintorin_4.jpg
modra_cintorin_5.jpg

Title

Cemetery in Modra

Description

The Jewish cemetery in Modra was located on today’s Šúrska Street, which is the southern thoroughfare of the town. It was razed in 1960 and its land now belongs to the local municipality. However, it did not disappear into complete oblivion. In 1999, a group of local activists cleaned and marked the site of the cemetery. A granite plaque was mounted on the remaining cemetery wall. A matzevah (tombstone) was carefully reassembled from three fragments and is attached to the wall. It belongs to Samuel Blau, who passed way in 1850 at the age of 71. Another matzevah is a broken fragment with only the stone maker’s sign in Hebrew letters: Leicht Pressburg.

Date

19th – 20th cent.

Identifier

Šúrska Street, Modra

Collection

Citation

“Cemetery in Modra,” Slovak Jewish Heritage Database, accessed June 25, 2024, https://database.slovak-jewish-heritage.org/items/show/9.

Geolocation